1 Year Until Our Wedding: Dress Shopping, Bridesmaid Dresses, Save the Dates and More

Editorial flat-lay of wedding planning items—wedding dress silhouette, blank stationery, and soft pastel florals—symbolizing one year until the wedding.

There is something absolutely surreal about hitting the one year until the wedding mark. It is exciting, obviously. It is also the point where everything suddenly feels very real. The venue is signed, the photographer and videographer are booked, the planner is working her magic, and all of those dreamy little ideas begin turning into actual decisions.

This season of wedding planning has been filled with big moments and tiny details that somehow feel just as important. I started trying on wedding dresses in New York City, explored bridesmaid dress options, began putting together bachelorette gifts for Charleston, took save the date photos, and got my first look at the world of custom stationery.

It is a lot. It is fabulous. It is also a reminder that wedding planning is not only about reaching one day. It is about creating little memories together while getting there.

Starting the Bachelorette Planning With Personalized Gifts

My bachelorette trip is happening in Charleston, and I am so excited. Charleston has such a special little place in our story. Will and I had one of our first official couples trips there around New Year’s, and we also modeled for Charleston Wedding Magazine years ago. It felt like the cutest, most iconic place for a celebration with my girls.

My maid of honor, Maddie, and Taylor have truly been handling the bachelorette planning, which means I do not know every detail. Honestly, that is part of the fun. I get to contribute where I can, especially with gifts, while they keep the plans a surprise.

I wanted the bachelorette gifts to feel personal without being so aggressively branded that nobody could use them again. I love a theme, I love a monogram, I love pink, but I also want to give people things they will genuinely reach for after one weekend.

Custom Charleston Hats

The first thing I ordered was a set of embroidered hats that say From Charleston With Love. This was my little announcement of where we are going, but it also felt much more wearable than putting a huge bachelorette slogan across the front.

We have a beach day planned, so these will be perfect for that. But they are also just cute everyday hats, which was the whole goal. I got one for myself too, because obviously.

Pink and white embroidered baseball cap held close to the camera
A location-inspired design makes a group gift feel special without making it one-time-only.

Initialed Canvas Totes

I also chose embroidered canvas tote bags with each bridesmaid’s first initial. I loved this option because it is customized but still flexible. Not every girl is a pink girl, and not everyone is married or engaged, so using first initials felt much more thoughtful than doing a full monogram.

The tote is a great size for filling with bachelorette goodies, but it will also work for travel, errands, beach days, or literally anything. That is my favorite kind of personalized gift. It feels intentional in the moment and useful long after.

Matching Robes for the Weekend

I love a robe, but it is one of those things that is somehow always forgotten when packing for a trip. So, custom robes were a must. The girls have pink robes with their names embroidered on the front, and mine is white with pink embroidery so it coordinates with everyone else.

They are going to be so cute for getting ready and for all the little candid moments throughout the weekend. More than that, I love that everyone gets to take home something cozy and personalized.

When putting together bridesmaid or bachelorette gifts, I think there are a few things worth keeping in mind:

  • Prioritize reusability. A location or subtle embroidery can be more wearable than a giant event-specific phrase.
  • Customize thoughtfully. First initials are often easier and more universally useful than full monograms.
  • Let the gifts serve the weekend. Totes, hats, robes, and travel-friendly items can become part of the experience.
  • Do not feel like you must do everything alone. Having trusted friends take the lead on plans makes the surprise even sweeter.

Wedding Dress Shopping Before the Big Appointment

I knew I had my Kleinfeld appointment coming up in May, with friends and family traveling to New York for it. I really wanted the possibility of saying yes to my dress surrounded by everyone I love, but I also did not want to walk in completely blind.

Trying on dresses beforehand was important because I needed to know what silhouettes, fabrics, and details I actually loved on my body. Bridal fashion is so beautiful in photos and on a runway, but a dress can feel totally different once it is on you.

Also, because I have worn a lot of pageant gowns, I know I can be particular about fit, fabric, structure, how a gown photographs, and how it pulls in certain places. I wanted my wedding dress to feel bridal and timeless without looking like one of the gowns I had already worn for another chapter of my life.

How I Prepared for a Bridal Appointment

For my first appointment, I chose comfort. I wore nude undergarments, including nipple covers and a nude thong, because that seemed like the easiest choice under different dress samples. I brought nude heels just in case, packed water and my phone, and wore a cozy bridal set because I was taking the subway across the city.

One piece of advice I had heard again and again was to wear hair and makeup similar to the wedding day look. I did not fully do that at the first appointment because I simply did not wake up early enough, which is very on brand. But I do understand the logic.

I think hair can dramatically change the way a dress feels. Since I am leaning toward having my hair down for the ceremony, I wanted to make more of an effort to see dresses that way in future appointments. A gown might be gorgeous with an updo and suddenly feel like a completely different dress with long hair down around the shoulders.

What My First Appointment Taught Me

The first stop was Berta, a designer I had wanted to try for years. I had followed a fashion blogger back around 2017 whose wedding dress was Berta, and I had held onto that little bridal dream ever since.

The dresses were stunning, but the appointment itself was a little challenging. I waited about an hour past the scheduled time, which meant I could not use the full appointment because I had another meeting to get to. Walking into a dress appointment already flustered is not ideal, especially when it is your first one.

Still, I learned important things. Many of the dresses did not have lining, and adding it would cost extra. I also learned that the dresses could not really be changed structurally. The brand’s approach was essentially what you see is what you get.

That is not inherently a bad thing, but it is absolutely something to ask about before falling in love with a sample. If the waist is too low, the fabric is more sheer than expected, or the neckline needs a significant adjustment, it matters whether the designer and boutique can make those changes.

I tried styles with lace, satin, off-the-shoulder details, gloves, capes, and veils. There were beautiful moments, especially with a few flattering cuts, but I began to realize that lace might not be the direction for my ceremony gown. I also knew I wanted more sparkle than I initially expected.

Bride trying on a strapless satin ball gown in a bridal showroom
Trying on different silhouettes made it much easier to identify which proportions and fabrics felt most like me.

Finding Clarity at Millanova

My next appointment was at Millanova, another showroom I had seen during New York Bridal Fashion Week. It had just opened, so getting to visit and try on gowns there felt very special.

At this point, I went in knowing I wanted to explore A-line and ball gown silhouettes. I kept thinking about a dress with drama, sparkle, and that big princess feeling. I needed more than a little appliqué here and there. I wanted the sparkle to feel intentional throughout the whole look.

The team was so kind and tried to show different ways a gown could be customized with appliqués and detailing. We pinned dresses to experiment with waistlines, tried veils, and explored both ceremony gowns and reception dresses.

Even though I did not find the dress there, the appointment helped enormously. I became more confident that lace was probably not my main ceremony dress fabric. Lace is timeless, elegant, and so bridal. It just did not feel like me in the way I hoped it would.

One of my favorite pieces from the appointment was a mini reception dress with a wrap-like overskirt and scalloped detail. I still think about that little dress. It was playful, fashionable, and proof that a second look can be a completely different kind of bridal moment.

A Better Experience at Mark Ingram

The last appointment before Kleinfeld was at Mark Ingram, just a few days before the big day. I loved the experience there. The showroom had a wide range of cuts and styles, and I liked being able to walk around, pull gowns that caught my eye, and then try them on.

Of course, I had to start with the blush pink gown. It was barely pink, very editorial, and had the cutest bow on the back. I love a butt bow. If I could put one on every single dress I own, I probably would.

I also tried a halter gown because I had always imagined getting married in one. I found a lace option I genuinely liked, which surprised me, as well as a peplum and tulle dress with a cat-eye neckline that felt very fashion-forward.

Then there was the princess ball gown. It had that Mia Thermopolis energy, huge skirt, gorgeous train, pure fantasy. It was beautiful. But after sitting with all the dresses I had tried on, I knew I still had not found the one.

And that was okay. That is the entire reason I went before Kleinfeld. The goal was not to force a yes. The goal was to learn.

My Biggest Wedding Dress Shopping Takeaways

Dress shopping taught me that preferences get clearer through comparison. You may think you know exactly what you want, then put it on and feel completely different. Or, you may try something outside your comfort zone and suddenly see yourself in a new way.

  1. Try appointments before your main decision day if you can. It takes pressure off and gives you a real reference point.
  2. Ask what can be customized. Ask about lining, waist placement, neckline changes, sleeves, straps, and alterations before getting attached.
  3. Take note of patterns, not just individual gowns. If you keep loving the same neckline, shape, or amount of sparkle, that matters.
  4. Separate your ceremony and reception visions. A dramatic ball gown and a sleek mini can both be right because they serve different moments.
  5. Do not say yes just because the appointment is special. A meaningful room full of loved ones is wonderful, but the dress still has to feel like you.

Celebrating One Year Until We Say I Do

Some milestones deserve to be celebrated even when they are simple. For our one-year mark, Will and I got champagne, a little berry cake from Whole Foods, and glasses that said “The Camps.” It was tiny, sweet, and exactly what we needed.

One year from that night, we will be married. Husband and wife. That is such a wild sentence to say out loud.

We laughed about making the date our wedding anniversary forever and celebrating in the most random ways possible. Red Lobster, McDonald’s, Taco Bell, whatever feels right. The point is not creating a perfect anniversary tradition immediately. It is just knowing that this date will always mean something.

We also practiced feeding each other cake, which was hilarious and honestly a little stressful. Apparently, the key is to look at each other’s mouths. Important information for the future.

Beyond the champagne and cake, it was really meaningful to talk about what we are each most excited for. Will is excited for the reception, which, fair. But he is also looking forward to the first look and seeing me in my wedding dress for the first time. I am excited for all of it. The first look, the ceremony, the reception, our people together in one place, and the moment it becomes official.

Planning can be stressful, especially when real life does not pause just because a wedding is coming. There are jobs, family, travel, big decisions, and all the normal things that continue happening. But the wedding is also a chance to remember why every detail is being planned in the first place. We are getting one step closer to being one.

Choosing Bridesmaid Dresses With the Girls in Mind

I truly did not expect bridesmaid dress shopping to be this much fun. I went to the Lula Kate showroom in New York City to explore the fabrics, colors, and styles in person since my bridesmaids do not all live in the city.

I have been a bridesmaid before, and I know what it feels like to put on a dress that does not quite feel like you. That is why I wanted to be very mindful about this process. Yes, the wedding is such an important day for Will and me, but it is also a big day for the friends who have loved, supported, and lived life alongside us.

I want every girl to feel like a million bucks.

Shopping in person made a huge difference because color and fabric can look so different online. Being in the showroom meant I could touch the materials, see the shades against each other, understand how dresses fit, and determine what felt flattering.

Close view of pastel bridesmaid dresses hanging on a showroom rack
Seeing fabrics and shades together in person makes color decisions much easier than choosing from a screen.

One of my favorite things about Lula Kate was the ability to customize. If I loved the bodice from one sample and the skirt from another, there was flexibility to mix and match. That opens up so many possibilities when trying to make a bridal party feel cohesive while still choosing shapes that work for different people.

And a lot of the skirts had pockets. I love pockets in any dress, but for bridesmaids, they are truly genius. Lip gloss, lipstick, tissues, a phone before photos, little essentials. Pockets are never a bad idea.

These were the questions I kept considering throughout the appointment:

  • Should everyone wear the same dress or different silhouettes?
  • Should the dresses all be one color, different shades, or a mix of prints and solids?
  • Do I want a more classic look or something colorful and playful?
  • Which fabrics will feel good for a full wedding day?
  • What will make each bridesmaid feel confident and beautiful?

There is no one correct answer. The best bridal party look is the one that fits the wedding vision while still honoring the people wearing the dresses.

Save the Date Photos in Charleston

Charleston became the backdrop for our save the date and engagement photos, and it was such a dream. We were shooting with our wedding photographer, Eric and Jamie Photography, and our wedding videographer, Summer Films. It was exciting to meet them in person and get a little feel for the people who will be capturing such an important day in our lives.

We had already taken engagement photos before, but these felt extra special because they are being used for our save the dates and wedding website. These are not just pretty pictures. They are part of the way we are welcoming people into this season with us.

My wedding planner, Becky, found the cutest pink vintage car for rent in Charleston, called Miss Figgy. The second I heard about it, I knew we had to use it. A pink car in Charleston? Please. It was meant to be.

We did two looks, drove around the city, and got the sweetest photos together. It was a little celebration of closing out one chapter too. My time as Miss New York had just officially finished, which meant I could truly focus more of my energy on wedding planning.

That transition made this shoot feel even more meaningful. So much had been happening at once, and suddenly, there was a little room to breathe and say, “Okay, we are doing this.”

Why Wedding Stationery Deserves More Attention

Wedding stationery is one of those things that can be so easy to underestimate until you start exploring it. Then suddenly you are looking at paper weights, printing methods, ribbon colors, wax seals, envelope liners, monograms, custom art, and all the little pieces that make an invitation feel like an experience.

I received a sample box from Empress Stationery, and I was not prepared for how many beautiful possibilities there were. It included color swatches, ribbon options, wax seals, examples of invitation suites, and cards showing the different ways save the dates and wedding invitations can come together.

There were purple, pink, chartreuse, blue, and other color options. There were beautiful ribbons, custom logos, and samples with watercolor venue illustrations. One suite even featured a venue I had toured, which was so crazy to see.

Hands holding a wedding invitation suite with green striped paper and illustrated inserts
A complete invitation suite shows how paper, color, illustrations, inserts, and finishing details can tell one cohesive story.

My favorite sample was, obviously, pink. Everything in the suite coordinated beautifully, from the main card to the inserts and envelope details. It made me realize that stationery is more than an announcement. It is a first impression of the wedding atmosphere.

Whether you want something classic, colorful, formal, whimsical, or completely custom, these are the details worth thinking through:

  1. Color palette: Choose shades that feel like the wedding, not just colors you happen to like separately.
  2. Format: Decide whether you love a simple flat card, a folded design, layered pieces, or a suite with multiple inserts.
  3. Artwork: A watercolor venue illustration, custom crest, or personalized motif can make the invitation feel deeply connected to the celebration.
  4. Finishing touches: Ribbon, wax seals, envelope liners, and special paper can create a beautiful unboxing moment.
  5. Consistency: Save the dates, invitations, the wedding website, signage, menus, and day-of paper goods can all work together without being identical.

I am still figuring out exactly what I want, but that sample box made the process feel much more exciting and much less mysterious.

The Real Feeling of the One-Year Mark

There are still so many decisions ahead. There is still a dress to keep secret until the wedding, bridesmaid looks to finalize, bachelorette surprises to experience, stationery to customize, and about a million tiny details that will somehow need a home in a planning spreadsheet.

But this is also the part I want to remember. The first dress appointments where I learned what I did not want. The bachelorette gifts laid out in my room. The berry cake on our balcony. The pastel dresses on the showroom rack. The pink car in Charleston. The invitation samples that made me gasp because they were so pretty.

It is not all about the finished wedding day. It is about the way every small choice becomes part of the story.

FAQ

When should you start wedding dress shopping?

Starting before the appointment where you hope to make a final decision can be incredibly helpful. A few early appointments give you time to learn what silhouettes, fabrics, and details you love without putting pressure on yourself to choose immediately.

What should you wear to a wedding dress appointment?

Nude undergarments are a smart choice because they disappear under more dress samples. Bringing nude heels can also help, especially if you want to see how the length and proportions feel with shoes. If possible, style your hair in a way that resembles your wedding vision so you can better picture the complete look.

What questions should you ask a bridal salon before ordering a gown?

Ask whether the dress comes lined, what alterations are possible, whether the waist or neckline can be changed, what the timeline is, and what any customization will cost. Some designers offer significant flexibility, while others sell the gown essentially as designed.

How can bridesmaid dresses feel coordinated without being identical?

Choose a shared element, such as one color family, fabric, length, or overall level of formality, then allow flexibility in silhouettes. Customizable collections can make it easier to pair different tops and skirts while maintaining a cohesive look.

What makes a good bachelorette gift?

The best gifts are personal, useful, and connected to the trip without being too specific to one weekend. Customized hats, initialed tote bags, robes, and travel items can feel special during the celebration and still be used afterward.

Why should you invest time in wedding stationery?

Stationery helps establish the tone of the wedding from the first save the date. Color, paper, custom artwork, ribbons, seals, inserts, and envelopes can all create a cohesive experience that carries into the wedding website and day-of details.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

نموذج الاتصال